Featured Post

15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibit Fallbrook Art Center

The 15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibition opens this weekend (Mar 16-Apr.14) at THE Fallbrook Art Center. This prestigio...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Experimenting with tiny (for me) 6 x 6's




"Dark Curl 2 , 6'" square




 
"Dark Curl 1" 6 "square




"Wireless Palms" 6 "Square


Here are three tiny paintings. They are all 6 by 6. It was  hard for me to paint this small. This isn't my usual style, I tend to pull back and paint more traditionally when learning something new. This size seemed to work best for me with very strong and very simple value patterns.
The two "Dark Curl" paintings were actually painted as a 6" by 12" and cut apart. They were done from a photo I took along Carmel Beach.
"Wireless Palms" was a plein air piece, I was attracted to the perfectly symmetrical palm trees in a neighborhood in Palm Desert. I asked a resident what kind of palms they were because I had never seen anything like them........they are CELL PHONE TOWERS! We have cell phone towers that look like redwoods in Northern California. Anyway , I still like the painting but it always helps to know what you are painting! 
The two wave paintings were exhibited at the Randy Higbee Gallery 6 x 6 show in Costa Mesa.


4 comments:

Steve PP said...

Robin,
These are fantastic! I love the simplicity and freshness of colour in them.
I'm toying with having a paint on something smaller, do you recommend it?
Thanks for sharing!

Robin Purcell said...

Thanks Steve.I have gradually tried smaller: 11 x 14 to 9 x 12 to 6 x 12. I found doing the paintings as 6 x 12 and cutting them in half was better for me, I have a hard time doing finished paintings vs studies at this size.

Lorraine Watry, NWS said...

I just finished my own miniatures that are 2 1/2"x 3". I normally paint 1/2 and full sheets. It definitely is a change, but exciting. I love the colors you achieved in your "palms". How funny!

Robin Purcell said...

Lorraine, i visited your web site. I like your way with color, especially blue!