Featured Post

Spring Radiance

  Spring Radiance 12 x 12 watercolor on paper  Newest painting of the bright colors of a sunny Southern California spring day.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Curve of the Earth.. My Process

First stage, completed outside
The Curve of the Earth, 21 x 14 watercolor on Arches

Recently, I 've been doing what I call hybrid paintings, that is, starting the painting outside and having it visualized completely ,but finishing in the studio from memory . Mostly because the light has changed in two hours and I would be painting from memory even if I were on site.
For instance, The Curve of the Earth was started last summer on the Summit of Mount Diablo, from about 8:30 am until 10:30 when the temperature hit above 90 and the lovely early morning light was gone.
The title is from an outing with the astronomical society years ago, the setting sun makes the mountain cast a shadow where you can clearly see the curvature. I felt as if the horizon was so distant that I could almost see around the planet.

2 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its good to see and read about other artist's processes. This view from higher up works so well. Your colours are stunning and give real impact to the work.

L'Adelaide said...

your work is gorgeous...thank you for sharing a bit of your process!